A solid sports bra for running can make all the difference to your performance, whether you’re a beginner spending time on the treadmill or an experienced marathon runner. Wearing the proper running bra is not only essential for your comfort and performance, but it can also have an impact on the quality of your training and workouts.
Breast soreness brought on by improper or insufficient bra support can actually prevent some women from exercising. Without the support of a good running sports bra, exercise can result in breast pain, sagging, and even adversely affect athletic performance.
The reason for this is the lack of muscle in breasts. They are supported only by the skin and the so-called Cooper’s ligaments, a type of connective tissue. By providing external support, such as wearing the best running bra, your breasts get the compression needed to protect them, stay in position and reduce bounce.
Shop Sports Bras & More From 60+ Top Brands
In general, what may be considered the best sports bra for running should fit properly, be comfortable and designed precisely for the activity for which it is intended to be used. However, even with these criteria, running sports bras come in a wide range of fits and styles.
So, even after wearing different running bras, even your favourite sports bra for running might not cut it. If you’re searching in earnest for the best sports bra for jogging or running (and even to wear under a crop top), we’re here to eliminate the guesswork.
Keep reading to find out which are the best sports bras for running.
Best Running Bra [Quick Links]
To make it easier for you to find the best sports bra, our fitness experts have tested a variety of sports bras for different use cases.
By clicking on the links, you can skip to the best sports bras for running of a particular style that you’re interested in.
➜ Shop our entire range of sports bra
Which Type of Sports Bra Is Best for Running?
At this stage, your biggest question must be: Which type of sports bra is best for running? Or what is the best sports bra for running?
When it comes to sports bras, you’re sure to come across many types and styles.
However, the three main types are:
- Compression sports bra: As implied by their name, compression sports bras are made in a way that helps to compress the breasts and push them up against the torso, thereby holding them in place. They usually come in pullover designs, have no built-in cups and resemble a supportive crop top. You can wear this type of bra for low- to medium-impact activities, although there are some compression sports bras which are designed to provide adequate support even when you engage in high-impact exercises.
- Encapsulation sports bra: This type of sports bra comes with separate cups that are built into their design. They offer excellent support, are suitable for high-impact activities and may come with an underwire for each cup. Those that are made for women with small chests may come with light padding for added protection.
- Combination of compression and encapsulation sports bra: You can have the best of both worlds with a bra that combines compression and encapsulation construction. This style of bra provides outstanding support because it keeps the breasts separate in their own moulded cups while simultaneously holding them closer to the torso. Runners usually like combination encapsulation and compression bras because the way they limit breast movement in all directions helps to prevent chafing and general discomfort.
18 Best Sports Bras for Running
After discussing the general types of sports bras, we can finally move on to identifying the best sports bra for running in Australia and elsewhere.
The goal of this post is, of course, to provide information about all sorts of sports bras for you to ultimately find the best running bra for YOU – one that’s supportive and comfortable to ensures you’re able to maximise your training.
The Best Compression Sports Bras for Running
As previously pointed out, a compression sports bra usually comes in a pullover style, so it’s easy to slip on and off. The best compression sports bras for running we highly recommend are:
1. Skins Series 3 – Women’s Active Bra – Black
Designed for comfort and to provide compressive support regardless of your workout, the Skins Series 3 Women’s Active Bra comes with an open back, cross-design to allow for free movement. It’s suitable for a range of activities including racket sports, gym work, strength training, track and field, and all types of running activities.
2. BASE Cross-Back Sports Bra – Black
The BASE Cross-Back Sports Bra is made to keep you cool and stay dry and provides excellent support for low- to medium-impact activities, including spinning, running and cross-training. It comes with a cross-back design for optimum ventilation and removable pads.
The Best Running Sports Bras for Big Busts
For women with larger bust sizes, engaging in any type of exercise can become more challenging when they do not have the right breast support. Therefore, it’s crucial to wear only the best sports bra for running designed for large breasts – whether you’ll be running on a treadmill or going for a jog outdoors.
The best running bras for big busts will not only provide the required support but feel comfortable so you can focus on your workout.
3. LASCULPTE Classic Strappy Sports Bra – White
Available in size 10 to 20, the LASCULPTE Classic Strappy Sports Bra comes with removable cups and a 4-way stretch that ensures support in all directions, thereby reducing bounciness. It’s also moisture wicking, making it perfect for high-impact sessions, as well as activities like running, gym work and yoga.
4. MUSCLENATION Aim High Bra – Black
The MUSCLENATION Aim High Bra features elasticated top and bottom edges to ensure it remains in place during training and is also perfect for providing everyday support. Made of recycled polyester material, this bra also comes with removable pads and is available in a range of sizes – from XS to XXXXL.
The Best Running Sports Bras for Small Breasts
Just as it’s important for women with regular and larger chest sizes to wear the right sports bra, those with smaller chest sizes need ones that are made for them as well.
Here are the best running sports bras for small breasts:
5. RUNFASTER Flow Sports Bra – Unleashed Black
Enjoy your runs better with the RUNFASTER Flow Sports Bra featuring a thick under bust band and wide straps that ensure it stays in place no matter how much you move. It also comes with removable pads for a custom fit, is super comfortable and made to match RF Unleashed bottoms.
6. RUNFASTER Flow Sports Bra – Prism Navy
Run with confidence in the RUNFASTER Flow Sports Bra featuring fabric in Prism Navy, as well as wide straps and thick bands just below the bust that ensure optimum coverage and support. This stylish bra looks best when matched with RF bottoms in Prism Navy.
The Best High-Impact Sports Bras for Running
The best high-impact sports bras in Australia are ideal for all kinds of strenuous activities. Here are your choices for the best high-impact sports bra for running we’ve found:
7. RHAPSO DESIGNS BK24B High Impact Crop Top feat. Keyhole Racerback
Maximise your high-intensity workouts with RHAPSO DESIGNS BK24B High Impact Crop Top racerback sports bra with a keyhole design. This water sports friendly bra is fully lined, moisture wicking and fast drying – perfect for strenuous activities and everyday wear.
8. DEEZI ACTIVE Feel Good Crop – Black
Look great in the lightly padded, moisture wicking and breathable Feel Good Black Sports Crop by DEEZI ACTIVE which is made using 100% recyclable fabric. Designed to provide optimum support during high-impact workouts, this bra features a cross back and shoulder straps that minimise and control bounce however which way you move.
The Best Medium-Support Sports Bras for Running
The ideal medium-support sports bra for running can also be worn for low to mid-impact workouts. Check out the following:
9. DEEZI ACTIVE Marilyn Sports Crop
Comfortable and elegant, DEEZI ACTIVE’s Marilyn Sports Crop features a V-cut crossover front, removable padding and a keyhole crossover back. The thick straps ensure maximum support while the breathable, moisture-wicking fabric keeps you comfortable whatever your sports activities.
10. NEWTYPE Wherever You Wander Sports Bra
The Wherever You Wander Sports Bra by NEWTYPE offers excellent support for low and medium intensity workout sessions with its cross double strap back and breathable, moisture-wicking fabric. It’s also versatile enough to be worn on its own or with your favourite outer clothing.
The Best Sports Bras for Long-Distance Running
You’ll need a special sports bra for long-distance running as you’ll be wearing it for longer runs, including marathons and ultra runs.
Here are the best sports bras for long-distance running:
11. RUNFASTER Racerback Sports Bra – Intensity
Step out in style for your hardest runs in RF’s Racerback Sports Bra in their new Intensity print. The wide straps and extra thick under bust band provide outstanding support while the super stretchy material is ultra-comfortable – perfect for your longest runs!
12. RUNFASTER Flow Sports Bra – Black
Power up your marathon or ultra-run training with the RUNFASTER Flow Sports Bra made with eco-friendly RF Enviro fabric. The wide supportive straps and thick under bust band provide optimum yet comfortable support as you log kilometre after kilometre for hours.
The Best No-Chafe Sports Bras for Running
Whatever your workout, chafing is something you would not want to suffer as it’s not only painful but can also make training sessions doubly challenging. Therefore, having the best no-chafe sports bra for running is essential.
13. LASCULPTE Seamfree Reversible Sports Bra – Violet/Purple
LASCULPTE’s Seamfree Reversible Sports Bra is not only a no-chafe sports garment but is also made of moisture-wicking, quick-dry fabric that keeps you cool and comfortable. Perfect for high-intensity activities, this extremely supportive bra features 4-way stretch fabric, non-removable paddings and wide straps for freedom of movement.
14. MUSCLENATION ABILITY BRA Black
The Ability Bra by MUSCLENATION is made with the brand’s signature fabric for a no-chafe workout experience. It has a square neckline, removable padding, a racerback and keyhole detail, and an encased, elasticated under bust band for added support.
The Best Sports Bras for Running Pregnant
If you’re a mum-to-be, there’s no need to stop running completely as long as you’re wearing the best sports bra for running pregnant. And what’s great about these bras is that you can keep using them after you’ve given birth to your baby.
However, make sure to consult your healthcare provider before you start running or engage in any type of exercise.
15. MUSCLENATION Maternity Bra – Black
With the MUSCLENATION Maternity Bra, expectant and busy mums have the perfect supportive and comfortable go-to sports garment to power up their training sessions. Its 3-hook bra clasp closure and wide under bust band provide great support, and breastfeeding clips mean you can also nurse your baby before or after your workout.
16. MUSCLENATION Maternity Bra – Snow Leopard
Stand out in MUSCLENATION’s highly supportive Maternity Bra in Snow Leopard while engaging in your favourite workout. The 3-hook clasp closure and adjustable straps ensure the best, most comfortable fit, while the breastfeeding clips allow you to nurse your baby pre or post workout.
The Best Sports Bras for Running While Nursing
Aside from sports bras for pregnant women, there are also ones that are made for nursing mums. Here are the best sports bras for running while nursing:
17. Nautical Nursing Bra by MUMMACTIV
Nautical Nursing Bra is one of the best sports bras for running, offering comfort and compressive support during workouts. It features adjustable back and bra straps, which are suitable for pregnancy and postpartum periods and allows for ease of movement. The bra also has convenient one-hand nursing clips for easy baby feeding.
18. Sweetheart Nursing Crop by MUMMACTIV
The Sweetheart Nursing Crop by MUMMACTIV features a cute sweetheart neckline for style, a wide elastic under band for support and a see-through mesh feature for breathability. It comes with nursing clips for breastfeeding on-the-go and is made with antibacterial moisture-wicking quick-dry material, making it perfect for strenuous, high-impact activities.
How to Choose the Best Sports Bra for Running
Now that you’re familiar with your many choices when it comes to selecting the best sports bra for running, you may be ready to shop for your own.
However, to ensure you find a running sports bra that’s perfect for you, consider the following factors while shopping.
- Support level: Whether you want to purchase a compression or encapsulation bra or one that combines the best qualities of these sports bras, you want to be sure about the kind of support you need – whether it’s light, medium or heavy support. In deciding on the support level you require, you also have to consider your bust size and the kind of activity you’ll be engaging in which, in this case, is running. Thus, for optimum support and comfort, we recommend you go for sports bras that are recommended for medium- to high-impact activities. Some supportive features worth noting include 4-way stretch, the thickness or width of the straps and under bust band, and coverage.
- Size and fit: No matter how expensive or feature-packed your sports bra is, it won’t do you much good if it’s in the wrong size or is ill-fitting. This means taking precise measurements of your cup and under bust band size. To do this, you may need the assistance of someone else to take the measurements for you. You can also get yourself measured in-store next time you go out shopping.
- Fabric and comfort: The right fabric will not only ensure your comfort but also the kind of support you’ll be getting. As much as possible, stick to fabric with cooling and moisture-wicking properties, as these will ensure you stay dry and comfortable throughout your run. Sportswear material or fabrics with a soft texture and used to make specific cuts can also help minimise or prevent chafing, so you enjoy your runs more.
- Breathable and sweat-wicking: Since you’ll be using your sports bra primarily for running, it’s best to find one made out of material that’s antibacterial, quick-drying and moisture-wicking to keep you comfortable and focused on your training. Therefore, during shopping, make a note of the type of material used as it will also determine the durability of the garment or how long you’ll be using your sports bra for running.
Of course, you should also consider the aesthetics of your sports bra as it will add to your confidence and enjoyment of wearing this sports garment.
Time to Shop for the Best Running Sports Bra for YOU!
Now that you’ve got all the information you need to choose the best running sports bra, it’s time to check out our collection and find the best activewear for your needs and preferences.