A major requirement for any type of workout gear is that it’s so comfortable, you’ve absolutely no worries about chafing or stretching and then ruining the garment. The thing is, working out requires focus, especially when it comes to Pilates and yoga exercises, where every single movement must be precisely synchronised with your breathing.
So if you’re getting ready to attend your first yoga class, it’s crucial to pick the right yoga outfit. Of course, shopping today is so convenient, as you can do it from the comfort of home.
Shop Yoga Outfits & Accessories From Top Brands
You can simply shop for yoga outfits online. However, finding the best outfit for yoga is easier said than done, especially if you don’t have any set criteria.
You need to know which outfits to wear with yoga pants to look and feel good. So, to help you find the right yoga pants and tops sets and flattering yoga clothes, we’ve put together this comprehensive guide.
What to Wear to Yoga?
Knowing what to wear to yoga is key to ensure you don’t worry about unsightly things like a camel toe, panty lines or the top of your underwear showing. This way, you can have a yoga workout that will help you relax, focus and improve your posture.
If you need quick tips on how to dress for yoga class (or how not to), here are a few:
- Always dress for comfort.
- Ensure you have the freedom to move.
- Avoid wearing anything that’s distracting.
- Don’t wear strong perfume (better yet, don’t put on any).
- Keep your jewellery and accessories at home.
Must-Have Properties of the Best Yoga Outfit
Choosing the best yoga outfit for you is, like many things, a matter of individual preference. Some like to look cute, some want to project a sexy vibe, others prioritise modesty, whilst some just want to wear functional or high-performance pieces.
If it’s your first time venturing into the great, big, beautiful world of yoga outfits, here are some of the must-have qualities of the best yoga outfit:
- Comfortable: Whether it’s your yoga pants (leggings or tights), sports bra, sports top or underwear, comfort is a major factor, as it’s what will make or break your practice. Any discomfort can interfere with your concentration, so always consider comfort.
- Fits just right: When it comes to achieving the right fit, your yoga outfit should be true to your size. For example, if you go a size bigger with your yoga pants, they’d probably be longer and you might end up tripping on them as you move. If you wear a loose shirt as your top, it’ll be rolling down from the waist every time you do a downward dog or a similar pose. If you get one in a smaller size, you might have trouble breathing properly.
- Breathable and moisture-wicking: Part of the comfort you’ll find in a yoga outfit is its breathability coupled with being sweat or moisture-wicking. Therefore, even if you’re dripping with sweat during hot yoga, you won’t be feeling weighed down. If you’re choosy about fabrics, sticking to yoga clothes made with natural fabrics like cotton or hemp can help with the breathability factor.
- Flexible, stays in place: What could be more uncomfortable than wearing a piece of clothing that hikes up or down because it doesn’t firmly stay in place? This is why it’s crucial to wear leggings or yoga pants with wide or high waistbands to ensure they’re squat proof. The same goes for yoga bras and shirts — they should stay in place no matter the move you make.
- Opaque: Again, avoid or minimise distractions in yoga class — and giving others a full view of your underwear because your leggings are see-through is one type of distraction. Whether it’s your yoga tops or bottoms and underwear, choose opaque ones or those made with thicker material that’s unlikely to be transparent.
- Durable: Yoga outfits come in a variety of price ranges, but no matter the material or price tag of your chosen yoga tops and bottoms, they should serve you well. Look at every purchase you make as an investment. By opting to buy yoga outfits that are durable, you’re not only getting your money’s worth but also reducing waste.
- Stylish: Although not a major priority for some, it’s also important for you to enjoy wearing your workout clothes. You need to look good to feel good, too. So make sure you buy yoga outfits that you’ll want to wear again and again.
One last thing, depending on the type of yoga you’re practising (e.g., hot, Hatha or vinyasa yoga), your yoga outfit choices might change. While you may go fully clothed or in layers for vinyasa yoga, you might go minimalistic with hot yoga.
20+ Yoga Outfit Ideas for 2023 [ Sorted by Style & Colour]
If you need yoga outfit ideas based on style or colour, here are some examples of yoga clothing in various looks and shades:
Modest Yoga Outfits
Modest yoga outfits provide decent coverage whilst keeping you comfortable and cool. Modest yoga pants are usually high-waisted, simple and don’t have any see-through design features.
Check out the following modest yoga outfits (tops and bottoms) if you’re into this easy, simple style.
Sexy Yoga Outfits
If you’re into channelling a cute and sexy vibe or enjoy adding a dose of sassiness to your practice, then you might want to look into the trending scrunch leggings. But if that’s a bit too much, these yoga clothes are worth checking out. You’ll not only find pants that will make your butt look good, but ones that shape and enhance your whole silhouette.
Best Hot Yoga Outfits
The best hot yoga outfits should ideally be sweat or moisture-wicking, breathable and, if possible, antimicrobial. So if you’re on the lookout for your first Bikram yoga outfit or are concerned about what to wear to your heated yoga class, here are some suggestions:
Cool Yoga Outfits
If you’re into comfortably cool yoga outfits, there’s certainly plenty to choose from, like these cool yoga shirts and bottoms:
Cute Yoga Sets and Outfit Ideas
For those into cute yoga sets, you might want to purchase pastel-coloured outfits or those with dainty prints or special cuts.
Wide Leg Yoga Pants Outfits
Before leggings became in vogue in yoga practice, wide leg yoga pants outfits reigned supreme, like these super comfy ones you can easily pair with a simple yet versatile Dharma Bums Wonder Luxe Ellis Crop Sports Bra.
Beautiful Boho Yoga Outfits
In case you’re into beautiful boho yoga outfits, you’ll need to invest some time into searching for boho chic workout apparel. But yes, they do exist!
Yoga Outfits by Colour
Whether you’re a block colour fan or prefer pastels or lighter shades or prints, there’s sure to be the perfect yoga outfit for you. And if you’re unsure about what’ll look good on you, you’re welcome to try whatever strikes your fancy.
Grey Yoga Outfit
Check out these yoga pants outfits, combining grey leggings with all sorts of matching crops and sports bras.
➜ Browse Grey Yoga Leggings Outfits
Black Yoga Outfits
Out of all the yoga apparel colours available, black yoga outfits are some of the most in-demand, and we understand why. Black is universally flattering and doesn’t get soiled easily — which works great if you’re exercising.
➜ Or view Black Leggings Outfits
Blue Yoga Outfits
If blue yoga pants outfits appeal to you, you are not alone. Blue is a cool, calming colour — perfect for yoga.
➜ Check out famous yoga outfit brand Musclenation and their latest blue yoga outfits.
Or, view this amazing combination:
Green Yoga Outfits
Like nature, green yoga pants outfits evoke serenity and lush scenery that relax the body and mind.
➜ If you haven’t already seen Carra Lee’s latest green yoga outfits, check them out now.
Yoga Outfit FAQs
Now that we’ve gone over the basics of yoga outfits, let’s move on to frequently asked questions or yoga outfit FAQs.
What are the basic requirements for yoga?
Other than an innate desire to learn the practice, just follow the yoga dress code for ladies and gents. We’ve addressed that above — wear comfortable, moisture-wicking and properly fitting clothing. Also, avoid wearing jewellery, accessories and perfume.
If your studio or class doesn’t provide yoga mats for rent, then it’s understood that you’ll bring your own. Of course, always bring plenty of drinking water and a yoga towel plus a change of clothes.
Do you wear socks in yoga? Do you wear shoes in yoga? Do you do yoga barefoot?
Although doing yoga barefoot is still the most popular way of performing various asanas, some people prefer to wear socks or shoes. There are special yoga socks with tiny rubber grips at the bottom and yoga shoes that look more like sandals or are somewhat similar to ballet shoes.
Yoga footwear is usually worn by people whose feet tend to sweat a lot. Aside from this, you could wear socks or shoes to prevent yourself from slipping on your mat, protect your feet or keep them warm.
Can I do yoga without a bra?
Depending on the kind of top you’re wearing, you may opt to go without a bra. There are actually yoga tops that have built-in bras or padding. If you’re wearing a yoga bra, there’s no need to wear an extra one underneath as the support and coverage it provides are usually enough.
What top am I supposed to wear with yoga pants?
As seen in the sample yoga outfits mentioned above, you can wear tank tops, short-sleeved shirts and yoga bras with your yoga pants. In fact, anything that’s comfortable and won’t interfere with your practice should work fine.
What should I wear to yoga if I’m plus size?
Whether you’re small, medium, large, smaller than small or larger than large, you’re sure to find yoga outfits in your size, including plus-size activewear. So, if you really want to learn yoga, your size shouldn’t hinder you from mastering it.
What do I wear to a yoga retreat?
Although a yoga retreat may seem extra special, you don’t need fancy yoga clothes. Just wear your usual comfy yoga outfits and you’re good to go.
What am I supposed to wear with yoga pants in winter?
You can wear layers if you feel cold — just like in any other form of exercise. Of course, it’s best to keep the layers light and easy to remove when you start feeling warm while doing your poses.
How do I look good in yoga pants?
Wear your yoga outfit with confidence and enjoy your practice, and you’re sure to look great.
What should I wear to vinyasa yoga?
Again, wear what’s comfortable and won’t affect your yoga practice.